Based: Raby Estates Office and other Estate locations as needed
Salary: Competitive based on experience + excellent Raby Estates benefits package
Employment Basis: Full Time, Permanent
Working Hours: 39 hours – Monday to Friday
We have an exciting opportunity for a Forestry and Estates Maintenance Supervisor to join our friendly and passionate team here at Raby Estates in Co. Durham supporting the development of the forestry and woodland management business.
Working with the Head Forester, this is a key role with lots of variety leading a small, established team, undertaking maintenance of the Estates’ forestry, infrastructure, parkland and land holding, in keeping with the Raby Business Plan and in support of other departments associated with the day to day running of the Estate.
What you’ll be doing:
This is a hands-on position that will involve manual work on a daily basis across a range of disciplines including:
- Forestry planting and maintenance
- Pesticide application and weed control
- Stone walling (dry stone and cement bound walls)
- Maintenance of Estate infrastructure including paths, tracks, drains and individual trees
- Tree felling and scrub cutting
- Christmas tree maintenance and production
- Tractor, ATV and machine operation
- Activities to support other departments and effective running of the Estate
This list is not exhaustive, and you will be required to carry out any other reasonable tasks arising from time to time.
Overview of Raby Estates:
The Raby Estate comprises substantial landholdings and trading operations in Co Durham and Shropshire that are owned by Lord Barnard.
Raby Castle near Staindrop has been the home of the Vane family for generations and is open to visitors. Lord and Lady Barnard seek to develop the Castle and grounds so that it becomes one of the foremost visitor attractions in the North.
Agriculture is also an important source of income for the Estate. As well as the Estate’s own Home Farm in Raby Park, there are many tenanted farms and a large number of houses and cottages in villages around Teesdale, many are whitewashed farmsteads and houses where families have been tenants for several generations.
Raby Estate business operations include in-house farms, let farms and residential property, forestry, visitor attractions and sporting enterprises across 3 Estates in Co Durham and Shropshire.
What we’ve got to offer.
- Competitive salary and excellent benefits package.
- A motivating, encouraging environment to work.
- 33 days holiday per year.
- Excellent pension scheme with employer contributions of 7.7%.
- Excellent learning and development opportunities to enable progression.
- Free access into our leisure attractions at Raby Castle and High Force.
- Access to our Employee Assistance Programme provided by Westfield Health.
- Group Life Assurance.
What we’re looking for.
We’re looking for someone with the following skills and experience:
- A qualification in forestry or land-based discipline and a good understanding of rural works
- At least 2 years experience in forestry, rural estate maintenance or similar role
- A safe and considered approach to all tasks and working practices
- Basic IT Literacy & familiarity with Microsoft Office
Candidates should preferably hold certificates in:
- Chainsaw operation (felling, snedding and cross cutting)
- Pesticide application PA1/PA6
- FISA site safety (or similar) training
- ATV Operation
- Emergency First aid at Work
- Full UK Driving Licence with trailer entitlement up to 3500kg
Skills and experience are important but what is important above all else is that we find the right person who fits into our beliefs and culture here at Raby.
Other qualities we are on the lookout for include:
- Flexible approach to duties undertaken
- Ability to work within a team or on own initiative as required
- Effective communication and organisational skills
- Honesty and a high level of integrity
- Enthusiasm and capacity for hard work
- Attention to detail
- Systematic and cheerful approach with a ‘can do’ attitude
How to apply
Raby Estates have major development plans across the whole estate in the coming years so it’s a really exciting time to come and work with us. If you would like to be to be part of our journey and you feel you have the necessary skills, experience and personality to undertake this role, we’d love to hear from you.
If you have a question about the role, or would like to find out more please email email@example.com