Location: Raby Home Farm
Department: Home Farm
Employment Basis: Seasonal
Salary: Competitive (above National Minimum Wage)
Closing Date: 22nd December 2023
Job details VA125-2023
We seek to recruit an experienced Lambing Assistant to become an integral part of the Farming Team with the role being specifically involved in a wide range of tasks in relation to Lambing duties.
What you’ll be doing
The successful candidate will be responsible for assisting in the lambing of the flock during the lambing season. This will include being responsible for feeding and caring for newborn lambs, monitoring the health of the flock, and helping with general farm tasks.
What we need to see
We are looking for someone with good physical stamina and enjoys working with animals. We are looking for an individual to carry out the following:
- Assisting with the lambing process, including monitoring pregnant ewes and assisting with delivery where necessary.
- Providing care and support to newborn lambs, including bottle-feeding if necessary
- Ensuring the health and welfare of all animals in the lambing shed.
- Assisting with general farm duties as required, such as feeding and cleaning out lambing pens.
- Keeping accurate records of lambing dates, numbers and health issues.
- Working closely with the farm manager and other team members to ensure the smooth running of the lambing operation.
- Always follow strict biosecurity and health and safety protocols
- Work flexible hours, including weekends and overnight shifts, during the busy lambing season.
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Experience working with livestock, particularly sheep essential.
- Good physical fitness and ability to lift heavy objects.
- Attention to detail and ability to follow instructions accurately.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work well in a team.
- Valid driver’s licence and reliable transportation.
- Must have own working dog.
- Experience of outdoor lambing is essential.
Overview of Raby Estates
Raby Castle near Staindrop has been the home of the Vane family for generations and is open to visitors. Lord and Lady Barnard seek to develop the Castle and grounds so that it becomes one of the foremost visitor attractions in the North.
The Raby Estate comprises substantial landholdings and trading operations include in-house farms, let farms and residential property, along with sporting enterprises across Estates in Co Durham and Shropshire. We also have visitor attractions at Raby Castle, High Force Hotel and Waterfall in Upper Teesdale and The Wrekin in Shropshire.
As well as the Estate’s own Home Farm in Raby Park, there are many tenanted farms and many houses and cottages in villages around Teesdale, many are whitewashed farmsteads and houses where families have been tenants for several generations.
What we’ve got to offer
It’s people that make a place, without people, a place is simply an empty shell. At Raby this is certainly true, it’s our people that make Raby special.
We strive to offer our employees an excellent working environment and the tools to perform, enabling them to achieve their goals and be the best they can be.
As well as some of the most iconic locations to work we offer:
- Attractive Salary
- Free car parking
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Continuous improvement through staff training and staff development programmes
- Discounts at our retail and food outlets
- Discounts to our Shropshire holiday cottage and High Force Hotel
- Free access into our leisure attractions at Raby Castle and High Force
- Private, behind the scenes tour of Raby Castle
- Raby Estate social events throughout the year
How to apply
If you would like to be part of our journey, we’d love to hear from you. If you feel you have the necessary skills, experience and personality to undertake this role, we’d love to hear from you.
Raby Estates are gathering the data in this application for the purpose of recruitment and to ensure we can contact you regarding this application.