Location: Raby Castle
Department: Leisure and Tourism
Employment Basis: Voluntary
Overview of Raby Estates
Raby Castle near Staindrop has been the home of the Vane family for generations and is open to visitors. Lord and Lady Barnard seek to develop the Castle and grounds so that it becomes one of the foremost visitor attractions in the North.
The Raby Estate comprises substantial landholdings and trading operations include in-house farms, let farms and residential property, along with sporting enterprises across Estates in Co Durham and Shropshire. We also have visitor attractions at Raby Castle, High Force Hotel and Waterfall in Upper Teesdale and The Wrekin in Shropshire.
As well as the Estate’s own Home Farm in Raby Park, there are many tenanted farms and a large number of houses and cottages in villages around Teesdale, many are whitewashed farmsteads and houses where families have been tenants for several generations.
Raby Estate is seeking enthusiastic volunteers to welcome visitors to Raby Castle. Applicants should have a friendly and outgoing personality as they are the first point of contact to welcome thousands of visitors each year. This is a hands-on role where you will be expected to work independently and as part of a team.
What you’ll be doing
The successful candidate will report to the Castle Custodian and will deliver exceptional customer service ensuring that visitors receive a positive first impression and a friendly welcome.
Volunteers play a crucial role in helping to share Raby Castle’s rich and fascinating history with visitors. We are currently recruiting volunteers to support the Raby Castle team at weekends and busy holiday periods.
- Assisting the Visitor Services Team to prepare the property for public opening and assist in the closing down procedure
- Helping visitors to discover more about Raby Castle and be inspired during their visit
- Be ‘on duty’ in the public rooms of the Castle throughout the day to ensure that all visitors view the property at its best and impart information about Raby Castle visitors
- Welcoming visitors at entrances and explain what’s on each day, advertising our range of tours, family-fun activities and special events
- Providing an excellent visitor experience; being proactive and approachable with the visitors’ experience in mind. Being informative and knowledgeable when answering visitors’ questions about Raby Castle
- Engaging with children using hand out trails and activity sheets
- Being proactive in providing low-level security to Raby Castle during opening hours
- Work within Raby Castle’s procedures
- Work in compliance with the Raby Castle Health and Safety policy at all times
- Undertake training as and when required
- Potential for future volunteering opportunities across the wider grounds including gardens and visitor services
What we need to see
We are looking for someone with an outgoing, helpful and friendly personality, confident in engaging with members of the public. You will be familiar with our beautiful spaces at Raby, from the stunning Octagon Drawing Room to the grand Entrance Hall. We are looking for confident, enthusiastic and friendly faces to welcome visitors to Raby. Help to provide a memorable experience by highlighting special items from our collections and being on-hand to answer questions.
What we’ve got to offer
- A welcoming and enjoyable volunteering experience
- A full induction and training programme with on-going support
- Regular volunteer coffee mornings and other volunteer social events such as the annual Christmas Party.
It’s people that make a place, without people, a place is simply an empty shell. At Raby this is certainly true, it’s our people that make Raby special. We strive to offer our volunteers an excellent learning environment and the tools to perform, enabling them to achieve their goals and be the best they can be.
How to apply
If you would like to be to be part of our journey, we’d love to hear from you. If you feel you have the necessary skills, experience and personality to undertake this role, we’d love to hear from you.
Raby Estates are gathering the data in this application for the purpose of recruitment and to ensure we can contact you regarding this application.