To celebrate another glorious summer at Raby, our Estate Chef Tom Parry has shared a new recipe for Raby Redcurrant and Red Onion Relish for you to recreate at home.
This delicious sweet chutney will be served in our Stables Café and is perfect for every occasion, especially with our homemade sausage rolls.
Preparation time: 55 minutes
Serves: one 400 gram pot
- 200g Red currants
- 140g Light muscovado sugar
- 200ml Red wine vinegar
- 2 Medium red onions- peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 Medium red pepper- seeded and chopped
- 2 Cloves of garlic
- 20g Fresh ginger grated
- 1 tsp Five spice
- 1 Small red chilli, seeded and chopped
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Roll the onions with red peppers and Olive Oil in a frying pan for 5-8 minutes over a high heat until lightly charred and softened. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Put the chilli, garlic and ginger in the pan with half the vinegar. Bring to the boil then simmer for 2-3 minutes. Add the onions and pepper plus remaining vinegar, all the sugar, spice and 1tsp salt.
- Bring to the boil then simmer for 5 minutes until thickened. Add redcurrants and simmer for about 5 minutes more.
- Remove and pour into a large heatproof jar and seal whilst hot.
- The relish will keep in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.
Recipe by Estate Chef Tom Parry