New recipe from Estate Chef, Tom Parry
We’ve got an abundance of apples and eggs on the estate this year, so to celebrate we caught up with Tom to find out a new autumn recipe that you can try at home.
Preparation time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 1 Hour
Makes: 10 Cake slices
Oven Temperature: 180C/160C fan
250g Orchard Bramley Apples (peeled and sliced)
50g Light brown sugar
150g Self-raising flour
3 Free-range eggs
150g Light brown sugar
3g(1/2tsp) Vanilla essence
50g Ground Almonds
1.5g (1/2tsp) Ground Cinnamon
60g Plain flour
30g Demerara sugar
1 Rub together the sugar, flour and butter until the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
- Peel and core the apples and slice into 2cm pieces.
- Place the apples into a bowl and add 50g brown sugar Roll the apples making sure all are covered with sugar and leave to one side for later.
- Place butter and sugar into a mixing bowl and whisk until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, flour, cinnamon, and vanilla, on a low speed lightly mix until smooth.
- Using a spatula, fold in the apples.
- Pour mix into a lined baking tin.
- Sprinkle all the crumble mix evenly across the top of the sponge mix.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for 50-60 minutes, it may take a little less depending on your oven.
- Leave the cake to cool in the tin for 10-15 minutes, then transfer to cooling rack to cool completely.
If you’d like to try these delicious traybakes, made with locally grown produce on the Raby Estate, come and visit us in the Yurt Cafe at Raby Castle. The Yurt is open daily from 10am – 4pm.
Recipe by Estate Chef Tom Parry